It’s fair to say Sony have had a rough time in recent months, so they needed the E3 Press Conference to wow, and my goodness it did just that. Opening with a famous Sony sizzle montage trailer, the tone was set for when SCEA President Jack Tretton took to the stage. Firstly he used the opportunity mention the recent PSN Outage, by apologizing to all of Sony’s 2nd and 3rd Party dev studio, their Retail partners and to us the ‘life blood’ of PlayStation – the fans. It was a heartfelt apology, not some over the top gesture or moment to point the blame. With the world watching, it was a perfect way to open the conference, and show everyone Sony were back.
We will go into further detail concerning each announcement revealed at the Sony E3 Conference, for now check out our summary of what was announced below:
- A PlayStation-branded 24″ 3D monitor was announced, not only will it offer an entry level way to play 3D games it also boasts a special screen tech allowing two players to see completely different images on the same screen. Cheaper PlayStation-branded 3D glasses were also shown. A bundle including the 3D monitor, 2 pairs of 3D Active Shutter glasses, a HDMI cable and a copy of Resistance 3 will be available for $499 (UK price TBC)
- Two new HD Collections officially confirmed – the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus Classics HD and the God of War Origins Collection with be available this September. The God of War Origins Collection with bundle the two PSP prequels together on one Blu-ray disc, and will feature improved graphics, DUALSHOCK 3 support, PlayStation Network Trophies and it all in 3D.
- Sly Cooper is back in a non-Sucker Punch developed new game for PS3 – Thieves in Time coming 2012.
- Three major EA games with offer Only on PlayStation content – SSX, Need For Speed The Run and Battlefield 3.
- The PlayStation Portable 2 or NGP has officially become PSVita. It will launch this year for $249/€249 UK price is expected to be around £235.
- Bioshock Infinite will feature PlayStation Move control and version of Bioshock is also heading to PSVita.
- New versions of Modnation Racers and LittlBigPlanet are also heading to PSVita – both feature feature Touch Creation Modes and will share already available content from their PS3 counterparts.
- New PlayStation Move title revealed from the team behind Sports Champions – Medieval Moves: Deadmund’s Quest.
- Street Fighter x Tekken is coming to PSVita will feature Cole from inFAMOUS as a playable fighter.
- New Sci-fi MMO from EVE Online creator CCP Dust 514 will be exclusively on PlayStation.
- Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee, and Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath remakes, heading to PS3 later this year, will also be hitting PSVita and will include Same Save Transferring.
- Action RPG Ruin announced will allow Same Save Transferring between PS3 & PSVita.
- Other snippets of info briefly mentioned or shown via trailers – including Everybody’s Dance, Total Wipeout, Everybody’s Golf PSVita, PixelJunk SideScroller.
It’s fair to say Sony came out fighting and well and truly nailed it, expect more in-depth looks all this week on PlayStationer.net