PlayStationer.net have recently conducted an interview with Guillaume de Fondaumière of Quantic Dream to discuss their upcoming title, Beyond: Two Souls. Towards the end of the interview Guillaume spoke of the companion app known as Beyond: Touch.
We wanted to enable the people who wouldn’t normally play games and give them the possibility to jump in. They would no longer simply watch, passively, as gamers play the game but give them the possibility to be handed a controller that they could master.
BEYOND Touch Features:
• Play the game on your PlayStation®3 system with intuitive touch controls designed for your Android/IOS device;
• Easy to play, even if you’ve never played a console game before;
• Easy to connect to your PlayStation®3 system;
• Play the adventure in Solo mode, or in Duo mode with a friend using your preferred device.
We started thinking about what devices we could use as the interface and quite naturally we thought of touch devices, a phone, tablet, devices that a lot of people have at home, so we started to design an interface, an app, that would be easy to use.
We created a simplified level of difficulty for these players and created Beyond: Touch.
Its not who can create the device but how it can interact so im thankful for Sony to have let us bring more 3rd party devices to really experiment with so that a wider audience can enjoy the game.
We have not been asked to utilize the Vita so far but we do realize the Vita has a touch screen application and we can easily do this if asked to. The app is free, and will release on the app store for IOS and on the marketplace for Android
The following information is the official app description:
Use the BEYOND Touch™ app to control your BEYOND: Two Souls™ game on PlayStation®3 system. The app can be used on Android/IOS devices to replace your wireless controller. All you’ll need is for your PlayStation®3 system to be on the same WiFi network as your Android/IOS device and you’ll be ready to play the game with touch controls.
From the visionary mind of David Cage, director of the award-winning Heavy Rain™ game, comes the most powerfully emotional experience on the PlayStation®3 system. A singularly unique, psychological action thriller featuring ELLEN PAGE and WILLEM DAFOE, the BEYOND: Two Souls™ game takes you on emotional journey through the remarkable life of Jodie Holmes.
• Dive into a gripping and unpredictable, psychological action thriller starring ACADEMY AWARD® nominated actors.
• Explore stunning and varied settings across the world in an epic journey through 15 years of a character’s life.
• Control Jodie and an invisible entity through spectacular action sequences and puzzles with unique controls.
• Experience cutting-edge technology from Quantic Dream in one of the best-looking games ever seen on the PlayStation®3 system.
Beyond: Two Souls is a gorgeous looking game and with the PS4 hanging on everyones mind, we couldnt help but wonder what is next for Quantic Dream.
It is too early to talk about the next-gen but we have started to work on our next project for the PS4 and we will be looking forward to sharing more information in the months and years to come but certainly you can expect some an innovative experiences from quantic dreams on the PS4.
Beyond: Two Souls debuts exclusively on the PS3 from the 8th of October in the US and the 11th of October in Ireland and the UK.