The new software update version 1.70 for PlayStation®4 (PS4™) is available for download. The PS4 systems new update brings a host of new features and enhancements, many of them highly-anticipated and requested.
Highlights for the 1.70 update include:
Edit and Share Best Gameplay Moments with SHAREfactory™
Once PS4 owners update to system software version 1.70, they will be able to elevate their game sharing by downloading the new SHAREfactory app, the PS4 system’s rich video editor that allows users to easily customize their gameplay videos with special effects including filters, transitions and themes. SHAREfactory provides access to a robust suite of tools to personalize videos by adding text and video commentary with picture-in-picture capability using PlayStation®Camera. PS4 owners can also add a custom soundtrack to their videos using the included audio tracks or by importing their original music. With this rich set of features, SHAREfactory enables players to create a polished compilation of their most epic gaming moments to share with their friends and social networks.
Get Games Faster with Automatic Downloading for Pre-ordered Games
Immediacy and streamlined access to content is a core part of the PS4 experience, with existing features such as “Play As You Download.” Shortly following the 1.70 update, players will have the ability to automatically download select games pre-ordered from PlayStation®Store prior to the release, so it’s ready to play as soon as the game launches.When the auto-download feature is enabled, the game will automatically download up to several days in advance of launch. As the release date approaches, a new countdown timer will appear to show how much time remains, until the content is released and accessible.
More Flexibility for Gameplay Captures with HDCP Off
The 1.70 update addresses one of the most highly requested features from PS4 users by introducing the option for PS4 users to disable High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection (HDCP) for games. This enables PS4 games to be output through HDMI to an external capture device for more flexibility when capturing gameplay, including longer recorded and live streamed sessions.
Easily Share Captured Videos, Screenshots or Edited Videos with USB Export Option
The ability to export captured videos, screenshots or edited SHAREfactory videos by pressing the DUALSHOCK®4 controller’s SHARE button to USB drive will also be added, allowing users to share their proudest, most heroic gaming moments with the world on the social video platforms of their choice.
Watch Live Broadcasts in HD or View Broadcasts Later with Archiving Support
With the upcoming update, users will have the option to broadcast their gameplay in 720p HD resolution and archive their broadcasts via Twitch and Ustream.
Additional features and updates introduced with system software v1.70 include:
- DUALSHOCK 4: Brightness settings for the light bar will be available in Bright, Medium and Dim, accessible in the Settings menu. Users also will have the option to control the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s touchpad, with inputs registered by clicking the touchpad or pressing the X button.
- PlayStation Store: Alternative Payment Methods (APMs) will be introduced for content purchased within PS Store, including PayPal support.
- SHARE: Updated settings will allow users to upload screenshots or video clips during a live broadcast, change the default recording time for gameplay captures, and select only the specific screenshots and video clips they want to save on their PS4 system. In addition, users will have more control with the privacy of their uploaded SHARE videos or screenshots on Facebook, with the ability to select the audience to whom the upload will be visible.
- Friends: Find Friends easier and send requests with the ability to search Friends-of-Friends, view Mutual Friends on another user’s profile, and accept Friend requests directly from the Friends list.
- Trophies: Trophies will be able to be sorted by rarity from the Options menu.
- PlayStation Camera: PlayStation Camera will respond to additional voice commands, enabling users to launch select installed apps.
- Music Unlimited: PS4 users with a subscription to Music Unlimited will be able to share songs by pressing the SHARE button on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller.